- 1 Large onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 Large lemon, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 Cups apple cider, homemade or store bought
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Sprigs of fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Bay leaves
- ½ Teaspoon of salt
- ½ Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 Chicken legs or thighs
- 2 Large apples, each sliced into eighths
- 1 Pound parsnips or turnips
- Place a gallon size heavy-duty zip top bag into a large bowl. Place the onion, lemon, apple cider, olive oil, thyme, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper into the zip-top bag, combining well.
- Add the chicken to the marinade. Close the bag, place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Arrange the chicken pieces in a large roasting pan skin-side up. Pour all of the marinade including onions and lemons over and around the pieces. Tuck the apples and parsnips/turnips around the chicken.
- Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring once halfway through to re-coat everything with the marinade.
- Arrange chicken and parsnips/turnips on a planner and sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
**This updated recipe was adapted from Ali Ebright’s recipe and can be found on her blog Gimme Some Oven. http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/apple-cider-baked-chicken/
Photo Credit: Ali Ebright. Photo uses potatoes instead of parsnips/turnips.More