- 1 tablespoon unsalted Ghee
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 4 red or golden apples, peeled, cored, and chopped, plus 1 apple, finely diced and tossed in lemon juice, for garnish (optional)
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 1/2 cups water, plus more if needed
- 1 jalapeno chili, thinly sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Melt Ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add squash, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add apples, salt, cumin, coriander, ginger, cayenne, black pepper, stock, and the water (just enough to cover). Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth, and return to saucepan. Heat over low, thinning with more water if necessary. To serve, ladle into shallow bowls; garnish with diced apples, jalapeno slices.
**This updated recipe was adapted from Martha Stewart’s recipe and can be found on her blog, Martha Stewart at Home: http://www.marthastewart.com/284268/apple-butternut-squash-soup